Eligibility & Prerequisites
- Prior to Application: The four (4) nursing prerequisites marked by an asterisk (*) must be completed and graded at the time of application. Human Anatomy and Physiology must have been taken within 7 years of starting the program. All courses must have been taught in the English language.
- GPA: Minimum 3.0 grade point average on a scale of 4.0 in all prerequisite courses. There is no minimum cumulative GPA.
- Repeat Courses – We highly discourage students from repeating courses if they have earned a grade C or higher on their first attempt. BIOL 2320/25 and BIOL 2420/25 should be repeated only if a grade C- or lower is earned on the first attempt.
- Completion of at least 45 semester hours of study at the university/college level.
- Completion of the seven (7) nursing prerequisite courses with a grade of C or higher prior to entering the program (C- grades are not accepted).
- Recommended: Completion of all general education requirements prior to starting the nursing program.
- Recommended for ESL Students: Completion of a medical terminology course.
- Current CNA certification or LPN licensure is required for admission. (MA and/or EMT do not substitute.)
- The most competitive candidates will have all prerequisites done, some employment experience in a public or healthcare setting and volunteer/community service.
If you are not a current Dixie State University student, you must apply to the Dixie State University’s Office of Admissions. Meeting the minimum eligibility requirements does not guarantee admission to the nursing program.
Completion of all seven (7) nursing prerequisite courses, with a grade of C or better, is required prior to entry into the nursing program. The applicant is responsible to submit updated transcripts to ensure the review of the application.
The four (4) prerequisite courses identified with an asterisk (*) must be completed before the application deadline. If these courses are not completed, your application will not be considered. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
- *BIOL 2320/2325 – Human Anatomy and Lab*
- *BIOL 2420/2425 – Human Physiology and Lab*
- *CHEM 1110/1115 – Elem/ General/Organic Chemistry*
- *MATH 1040 – Introduction to Statistics*
- FSHD 1500 or PSY 1100 – Human Development through the Lifespan
- FSHD 1020 – Scientific Foundations of Nutrition
- BIOL 4400 – Pathophysiology