THE SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM: HOW TO APPLY
Applications for the professional program open February 1st.
Application deadline: May 10, 2019 at 9:00am
Submit applications to and/or for more information contact:
Rachel Harris, Health Science Advisor
Dixie State University
Academic Advisement Center
225 S. University Avenue
St. George, Utah 84770
Surgical Technology is a limited-enrollment program and admits one class each fall; the program begins in August.
Program admission selection decisions are based on the cumulative scores achieved by applicants and are applied without regard to race, color, ethnic background, national origin, religion, creed, age, lack of American citizenship, disability, status of veteran, or gender. Applicants must verify that they are able to perform the essential functions of a surgical technologist. Some of our clinical sites require that students be at least 18 years of age to be eligible for clinical rotation placement.
The Surgical Technology program admission selection process utilizes a points system designed to predict potential for student success in the program. Application points are earned for the following criteria:
|Criterion||Percentage of Total Score|
|Cumulative college GPA||10%|
|Completion of, or acceptable progress in completing, prerequisite courses (for most current information on prerequisite courses, please contact the health science advisor)||30%|
|Grades in predictive courses (Medical Terminology, Human Anatomy and Lab, and Human Physiology and Lab)||40%|
|Professional references (two required: one from a current or recent employer and one from a university instructor)||20%|
Application Process Specifics
- In the event that qualifying applications receive identical scores, the date of receipt of the completed applications will be used to assign admission priority.
- Final selection will be made and students will be notified by email message to the student’s university email address.
- Admission to the program is considered conditional until the candidate completes the remaining requirements, which will be indicated in the conditional acceptance letter.
- An alternate list will be used to accommodate cancellations.
- Admissions will remain open until the class is filled.