Surgical Technology Career Information
Surgical Technologists are allied health professionals who are an integral part of the surgical team. Their primary role is to work with surgeons, anesthesia care professionals, registered nurses, and other surgical technologists in delivering patient care and assuming appropriate responsibilities before, during, and after surgery. Specifically, surgical technologists:
- Apply and maintain the principles of sterile technique and safety in the operating room.
- Prepare, handle, sterilize, and care for surgical instruments, supplies, and equipment.
- Set up instrumentation, equipment, and supplies for various surgical procedures.
- Prepare and pass surgical instruments, medications, and supplies to the surgeon.
- Anticipate the surgeon’s needs by analyzing the progress of the surgical procedure.
Surgical Technology Profession Essential Functions
Wages & Employment Outlook
For more information on wages and employment outlook, please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook on Surgical Technology.