The mission of the Dixie State University Respiratory Therapy Program is to provide comprehensive and integrated education of the highest quality in order to meet the needs of our students, potential employers, and the communities we serve.
- Critical Thinking: To foster critical thinking in the classroom and the clinical setting.
- Teamwork: To begin teamwork in the classroom that will carry over to the clinical sites and future employment.
- Personal Responsibility: All students will take responsibility for all assignments, paperwork, and actions performed in the classroom and at the clinical sites. There is an expectation that all students will have a good attitude when representing Dixie State University.
- Maintain a Dynamic Learning Environment: Faculty will stay abreast of current respiratory practice, procedures, and research to assure that students will be able to pass national exams and be clinically competent.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the successful conclusion of this program, students will be able to:
- Provide comprehensive patient assessment and care using therapist-driven protocols and evidence-based medicine.
- Demonstrate understanding and application of the American Association of Respiratory Care (AARC) code of ethics and professionalism, including patient rights and HIPPA confidentiality.
- Promote health and wellness through patient and family education and community outreach.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills when making patient bedside decisions.
- Use oral and written communication skills in collaboration with other members of the health care team.