The Professional Program: How to Apply
Application deadline: April 1, 2019
Submit applications to/for more information contact:
Rachel Harris, Health Science Advisor
Dixie State University
Academic Advisement Center
225 S. University Avenue
St. George, Utah 84770
Also listed in the packet above, please take special note of the following application requirements:
- Job Shadowing Form
A completed PTA program job shadowing form is required, verifying a minimum of 16 hours of physical therapy observation or job shadowing.
- Results of the PSB Health Occupations Aptitude Exam
The Psychological Services Bureau Health Occupations Aptitude Exam (PSB-HOAE, or simply the PSB) is an aptitude exam used in the application process for the PTA program. This test can be taken at the DSU Professional Testing Center by appointment (435.652.7667). This is a 2½-3 hour test with multiple sections, used to compare our applicants to other PTA applicants nationwide.
- Program Orientation: August 8-9, 2019
For students accepted into the Physical Therapist Assistant program, there will be a mandatory program orientation held August 8-9, 2019 in Pine Valley, UT at the DSU cabin. Students are encouraged to stay overnight with their cohort, but not required. Orientation will run 8am-6pm each day and cover program policies and expected behaviors, as well as an introduction to leadership and communication based on the book The 7 Habits for Highly Successful College Students, by Sean Covey. This orientation will set the tone and expectations for students, faculty, and the program. All students accepted into the program are required to attend. More information regarding the orientation will be given upon acceptance to the program.
- The Physical Therapist Assistant program is a limited-entry program; a maximum of 16 students will be accepted for the fall of each year.
- To be considered for admission to the PTA program, an applicant must first be accepted as a Dixie State University student. Then, the applicant must complete a separate application to the PTA program. Everything one needs to know about applying to DSU can be found here.
- Requirements to apply to the Physical Therapist Assistant program and course prerequisites can be found here.
- Students accepted into the PTA program will be going to school, studying, and attending clinical education for approximately 18 months. Students are advised not to consider employment while in the program. Some individuals are able to work part-time but must have a very flexible schedule that also allows for extended times off. Most students are not employed while in the program.