Medical Laboratory Science
Our vision is that the Dixie State University Medical Laboratory Science Program be a model of excellence in medical laboratory science education, graduating MLS who meet the workforce demands of today and tomorrow.
The mission of the Dixie State University Medical Laboratory Science Program is to graduate professionally accomplished MLS scholars, committed to life-long learning and prepared to meet current and future workforce needs in medical laboratory science.
The goals of the DSU Medical Laboratory Science Program are to:
- Provide a curriculum that meets current and emergent pedagogical and professional development needs of students;
- Establish and sustain partnerships with local and regional community medical laboratories that provide exceptional learning experiences for our MLS students;
- Innovate learning experiences and provide opportunities that maximize every program student’s potential to achieve MLS career entry-level competencies;
- Graduate knowledgeable and skilled MLS that meet the workforce needs of our local community, Utah, and the under-served regions of the country; and
- Help advance MLS pedagogy and growth of the MLS profession.
Program Learning Outcomes (Graduates' Competencies)
Upon completion of the DSU MLS program, graduates will with:
- TECHNICAL SKILL: Competently perform a full range of testing encompassing the pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical components of contemporary laboratory services in areas that include clinical chemistry, hematology/hemostasis, immunology, immunohematology/transfusion medicine, microbiology, urine and body fluid analysis, and emerging diagnostics;
- RESPONSIVE LEADERSHIP: Apply management concepts and leadership skills, taking responsibility for analysis and decision-making, and the effective communication of valid test information wherever laboratory testing is researched, developed or performed;
- INNOVATIVE PURPOSE: Actively participate in the development, implementation, and evaluation of test systems and interpretive algorithms;
- PRACTICED SCHOLARSHIP: Employ relevant experience in research design and practice;
- STRENGTH OF CHARACTER: Demonstrate ethical and moral attitudes, principles of lawful conduct, and commitment to continuing professional development necessary for gaining and maintaining the confidence of patients, professional associates, and the community;
- HEURISTIC KNOWLEDGE: Adhere to safety, governmental regulations and standards as applied to medical laboratory practice; and,
- NONPARTISAN DECORUM: Project an image of professionalism, respect the feelings and needs of others, protect the confidence of patient information, and never allow personal concerns and biases to interfere with the welfare of patients nor the work of colleagues and members of the healthcare team caring for patients.
National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
5600 North River Road, Suite 720
Rosemont, Illinois 60018