Medical Laboratory Science Admissions
Before applying to the MLS program students must apply for admission to Dixie State University of Utah. Applications may be obtained through the admissions office. For more information please contact:
Dixie State University Admissions Office
225 S 700 E
St. George, UT 84770
Students will be admitted into the program without discrimination as to age, sex, creed, ethnic origin or marital status. Students are only admitted in the fall semester who have earned an Associates degree in medical laboratory science or equivalent and a minimum GPA of 2.5 and C or higher in math and science courses. Math and science prerequisites must be completed within seven years of applying to program. The first MLS class will begin Fall of 2012.
Application deadline is June 1st.
There is a $25 nonrefundable application fee. Acceptance to the MLS program is competitive and based upon the following criteria: candidate interview (25%), essay (15%), GPA (30%), laboratory experience (10%), and references (20%).
Dixie State University of Utah adheres to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Students in the MLS program are expected to exhibit essential functions of the profession involving intellectual/conceptual, social/behavioral, and motor/physical attributes critical to the clinical laboratory setting. These functions include:
- Flexibility to adapt to professional and technical change.
- Recognition of potentially hazardous materials, equipment, and situations and ability to minimize risk of injury to patients, self, and individuals in close proximity.
- Support activities of fellow students and health care professionals accentuating team building skills.
- Ability to be honest, compassionate, ethical, and responsible in atmosphere of didactic learning, clinical setting, and professional arena.
- Ability to manage time appropriately so that patient results are delivered in a timely manner to health care providers.
- Ability to critically evaluate his or her own performance and accept constructive criticism in a positive manner so that improvements can be made when indicated.
- Ability to offer constructive criticism to fellow students and co-workers.
- Possess critical thinking skills to deliver accurate results in the clinical laboratory and safe blood products for transfusion.
- Ability to accurately measure solutions in the clinical laboratory and perform calculations pertinent to various assays.
- Ability to accurately discern different colors macro and microscopically.
- Ability to demonstrate integrity and honor patient confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations.
- Lift and move objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to communicate effectively using an LIS system, telephone, and face to face.
- Have sufficient motor skills to move from one department to another and operate laboratory equipment.
Students who are accepted into the MLS program will be required to complete a background screen. The cost for the background screen is $59. Click the button below to access the background screen process.
Prior to entering the program, students must provide documentation of a routine physical examination as well as proof of immunizations to measles, mumps, rubella, varicella zoster, TDaP, and Hepatitis B. The student must also be screened for tuberculosis.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and fees are approved by the Utah State Board of Regents and may vary from year to year. Information regarding current tuition and fees may be found in the general Dixie State University catalog and on the Dixie State University website. The refund policy may be found on the Dixie State University website. There is a $500 fee for all MLS courses with a laboratory section.