Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What does EMS/EMT stand for?
EMS stands for Emergency Medical Services. An EMT is an Emergency Medical Technician.

If I have an EMT certification from another state, can I transfer it to Utah?
Yes, you can. To find out the reciprocity requirements for each state, you should call the UT Bureau of EMS @ 1-801-273-6666

How long do I have to be an EMT before I can become an Advanced EMT or Paramedic?
Once you have your EMT certification, you can take the Advanced EMT course right away. However we require at least 6 months to 1 year of field experience as an EMT or Advanced EMT before you can even apply to the Paramedic program.

Is there a lab/clinical requirement for the EMT classes?
The EMT course does require you to complete at least 10 clinical hours at either a local emergency room or ambulance agency. The Advanced EMT course will offer clinical sign-ups for students to get IV practice, but they are optional. For clinical requirements for the Paramedic program, see the Courses page.

Can I attend your EMT classes for CME hours?
We welcome all local & long distance EMT’s, Paramedics, Fire Fighters or anyone in the healthcare industry to sit in on our EMT or Paramedic classes for continuing medical education hours. To see what classes we offer or when you can come in, just call the EMS Secretary at (435) 879-4951.