Bachelor’s Degree Application Process
Application Deadline: January 15th
Submit Applications to Cindy Clark, Advisor:
Taylor Bldg. # 258
225 S. University Ave.
St George, UT 84770
For more information contact Cindy Clark through email or phone: Cindy.Clark@dixie.edu., 435-879-4809.
You must apply to Dixie State University before applying to the Dental Hygiene Program. Apply online here, and visit the Admissions Office for more information, including what transcripts and documentation you will need to submit.
Step One: Application
Submit a completed application packet to the DSU Dental Hygiene program. This packet must include:
- Application Form
- Receipt of $50 Application Fee for first time applicants and $25 Application Fee for re-applicants (non-refundable). Pay at the cashier’s office or online.
- Official transcripts showing grades for ALL prerequisite classes. (See the Transfer Articulation for questions about transfer credits.)
- Statement of at least 100 dental experience or observation hours documented on the dentist’s letterhead, with the dentist’s signature.
- In order to get a true representation of the role of a dental hygienist, and the type of patients you’ll be treating in our clinic, you will need to spend the majority of your time in a general dental clinic or periodontal clinic, instead of specialized dentistry (pediatrics, orthodontics, endodontics, etc.). Therefore, we require that at least 75% of your hours be done with a general dentist or periodontist.
- Two Confidential Recommendation Forms completed by:
- Current or former employer/supervisor
- Academic instructor
Step Two: Testing
About the Tests
As part of our selection process, you may be asked to come in for “Round 2”, which consists of two tests. You will be contacted via email as to the exact dates of testing and you MUST make yourself available to come to Dixie State University to take these tests. They are normally given either the 1st or 2nd weekend in February, and are as follows:
- Wonderlic Cognitive Ability Test
- Manual Dexterity Test
Applicants will also be given a tour of our facility and will have their pictures taken individually for their files. If selected for the program, these pictures will be placed on students’ ID badges.
Successful candidates are admitted according to a point value scale with the following weighted selection criteria, listed in order of importance:
- Science Prerequisite GPA
- Wonderlic Test
- Overall GPA
- Manual Dexterity Test
- Recommendation Forms
An extra point will be awarded for each of the following:
- Alternate (previous year)
- Improved Science GPA (for previous applicants)
- Employed as a Dental Assistant (a minimum of 520 hours)
Step Three: Final Admission Process
Candidates will be notified of standing by letters emailed to each applicant. If accepted as one of the top 20 students into the Dental Hygiene Program, the following must be completed within a specified amount of time.
- Immunizations: Two-step TB, MMR & booster, TDaP, Hepatitis B (3 shot series), Hepatitis A (2 shot series), and Varicella or Chicken Pox Vaccine.
- Healthcare Provider BLS/CPR with AED Certification.
- First Aid Certification
- 10-Panel Drug Screen
- Completed Background Check through “Verified Credentials“
- $500 Non-Refundable Deposit to secure position in the incoming class. Pay online or at the Cashier’s Office.
Individuals should give careful consideration to the mental and physical demands of the program prior to applying. The pressure involved in undertaking the responsibilities of direct patient care should be considered upon applying to the program.
Individuals should understand that many procedures performed by a dental hygienist expose them to blood-borne pathogens requiring strict adherence to infection control protocols. Visit our blood-borne pathogen page to learn more. In addition, it is an important educational experience to participate as a patient in pre-clinic and in the pain control lab.