The mission of the Dixie State University Dental Hygiene Program is to produce dental hygienists of the highest ethical and professional standards by providing an exceptional academic and experiential curriculum, serving the needs of students, the University and the community at large.
Program Learning Outcomes
Customized patient-centered care At the successful conclusion of this program, students will be able to execute all steps in the dental hygiene process of care.
- 1.1 Perform a comprehensive patient assessment utilizing critical decision-making skills to construct and document a dental hygiene care plan for all types of patients based on data collected.
- 1.2 Perform and document comprehensive patient care to promote patient health and wellness for all patient types and classifications.
- 1.3 Provide appropriate life support measures for medical emergencies that may be encountered in the practice of dental hygiene.
Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct
At the successful conclusion of this program, students will be able to apply a professional code of ethics as stated in the ADHA Code of Ethics.
- 2.1 Apply a professional code of ethics and conduct to all aspects of dental hygiene.
- 2.2 Comply with state laws, recommendations and regulations, governing the practice of dental hygiene.
- 2.3 Achieve high levels of ethical consciousness, decision making, and practice to carry into the profession.
Health care systems At the successful conclusion of this program, students will be able to promote oral health through education and service in public health and alternative settings.
- 3.1 Administer oral health services and education individualized to patients’ cultures and special needs, in a variety of community settings.
- 3.2 Assess, plan, implement, and evaluate community-based oral health programs with respect to the oral health needs of the community.
- 3.3 Employ inter-professional partnerships to encourage health promotion and disease prevention within the community.
Critical thinking and research At the successful conclusion of this program, students will be able to analyze and apply research to facilitate evidence-based decisions.
- 4.1 Search and critically examine medical/dental databases for current information for evidence-based decision making.
- 4.2 Evaluate the safety and efficacy of oral health products, interventions, and treatments.
- 4.3 Utilize principles of research methodology to evaluate the scientific literature and synthesize the information in a critical and effective manner to apply evidence-based approaches to patient care.
- 4.4 Apply self-assessment skills to prepare for lifelong learning.
Communication and collaboration At the successful conclusion of this program, students will be able to develop effective communication and collaboration interacting with diverse population groups—including patients, peers, and other healthcare professionals and health care teams—to contribute to increased health and health behaviors.
- 5.1 Demonstrate effective communication skills when providing oral health education to patients and populations from diverse backgrounds.
- 5.2 Collaborate with the patient and the inter-professional healthcare team in the formulation of evidence-based, comprehensive, patient-centered dental hygiene care.
- 5.3 Employ effective written and verbal communication skills to provide oral health education and promotion in a variety of settings.